Giving in

July 27, 2011

Not giving up.

This house hunting thing has not gone well. Either I’m just super picky or there is reason behind my failure to find a new home for us.  Aside from the outrageous Toronto housing market, I just haven’t loved anything.

So not wanting to settle, we’ve decided to rent an apartment for at least 6 months in our preferred school district for the girls.  Now I can take my time and stop stressing about time constraints.  The positive?  My kitchen will arrive from Australia soon and I will have an unfurnished space to store it and use it in.    Can’t wait!

I’m pretty sure the one loaf besides banana I’ve made for the longest time is zucchini.  The man loves any cake  (any) but zucchini is for sure on his top three.  I’ve made many a loaf and this one was a hit.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Cashews

Slightly adapted: Eating well magazine

• 1 cup chopped salted cashew nuts
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup splenda (or sugar)
  • 3/4 cup apple sauce
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 Tbsp chocolate chips
  • 2 cups grated zucchini unpeeled

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a bundt pan well with cooking oil and then sprinkle some cocoa powder on top.
  2. Grate the zucchini and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, sugar, apple sauce, oil and vanilla until smooth.
  4. To the same bowl add the rest of the ingredients except zucchini and chocolate chips.  Stir until combined.
  5. Fold in chocolate chips and zucchini.
  6. Bake until centre is cooked through which took 1 hour in my oven.

Chocolate….zucchini…cashews.    How can this not be good?    It’s not- not good.  It’s good.  Really good.

If I was you I would make this.

Oh right.  I did make it.    That was smart of me.

1. MOM permalink
    July 28, 2011 12:43 pm

Finally I am able to leave a comment. I think I was blocked by the company. Just had a hugh upgrade done so I guess the block got deleted. This cake looks yummy. And anything with peanuts or peanut butter works for me. I might try this one.

• July 28, 2011 2:02 pm

I used roasted cashews in this cake but next time I would use roasted almonds or walnuts instead because the cashews couldn’t compete with the chocolate flavour. They’re too mild.

2. July 28, 2011 9:29 pm

I am now craving for a chocolate !!! I never used zucchini in cake but love the idea of cashew.

3. Only The Best Daughter Ever permalink
    July 29, 2011 12:44 am

Oh, I think you’re wonderful.

4. July 29, 2011 8:27 pm

You’ll find a home soon – just keep holding out for a place you LOVE, not a place you like 😉

This cake looks so good. I love that there are cashews in it. It just might convince me I don’t hate succhini 😉

• July 29, 2011 10:32 pm

Thanks Jess! I agree, I want to love my next home. You would never know there was zucchini in this…I promise.

5. July 30, 2011 9:11 am

MMM YUM! you can;t go wrong with zucchini and chocolate! because i just made zucchini chocolate chip muffins i definitely want to try either bread or scones. i love bundt cake too- actually maybe i will make a bundt cake instead! i so love that you added cashews- what a great idea!!

xoxo ❤

6. LILLY permalink
    August 2, 2011 1:44 am

Correction to your posting Ms. Michelle. Your ENTIRE Sydney kitchen cannot possibly be arriving as at least 50% of your stuff is still with me 🙂 I will definitely give this cake a try next week when my in-laws make their 1st visit (I have all the tools and ingredients, thanks to you!). Just bought chia seeds by the way…not such a good combo in cold cornflake cereal as they clump up. Discovered Power Plate here…wish you were around to suffer with me!

• August 2, 2011 10:38 am

lol! chia seeds and cornflakes made me laugh. I’ll send you some bette ideas for those! I wanna hear about your L.A. trip so I’ll email you tonight