I lurve cherries!
Here’s the problem.
I’m not lazy about everything. I’m no couch potato.
I just really dislike certain chores. I hate ironing and I do not like to take the pits out of cherries. Both of these annoy me more than even sewing does. I hate sewing…..I’m lazy that way.
Do you know that I would rather weed a garden for 5 hours before having to iron 6 dress shirts and then remove stones from a pound of cherries? and yes I’ve tried a cherry pitter…..ridiculous. A silly little gadget that takes just as long as my fingers do. Today however, it was necessary and totally worth it!
adapted: Martha Stewarts Strawberry Cake
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 6 T butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup splenda (or all white sugar)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk (any milk will do)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup cherries, pits removed and cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix 1 cup of sugar (setting the 2T aside) with softened butter and whisk until fluffy.
- Add egg, milk and vanilla and mix well.
- Add flours, baking powder and salt and stir just until combined.
- Pour into a greased (or parchment lined) springform pan and press cherries into batter.
Bake until lightly brown and firm in the middle. Your kitchen will also smell crazy good.
The quinoa flour adds a nuttiness to the cake. To make quinoa flour simply grind uncooked quinoa grains in a food processor or magic bullet.
Notice strategically placed cherry in the background? coincidence? I think not.
You should make this cake….seriously….use any fruit. Just make it.