Coconut Oaties and Barley Cakes

March 18, 2011

While still experimenting with different ways to eat spiced barley this week, I may have found my new favourite breakfast!

If you use your imagination, this almost looks like an overdone creme brulee 🙂

Barley Cakes

It may not look the prettiest but it was sooo good and I have more ideas so for now it’s a work in progress. Here is the  recipe.

I had it with plain yogurt and goji berries.   Yum.    I’m going to try a few more idea and post them this week.    Baking these little barley cakes 3 or 4 at a time would be great for someone who doesn’t have time in the morning to prepare breakfast.  Leave them in the fridge and simply microwave or eat cold in the morning, pour a little coconut or almond milk on top and it’s almost like dessert.     Now I’m thinking savoury barley cakes for lunch with salad.     The possibilities are endless.

I hope you’re  not entirely sick of me and coconut.

I can explain.

Not only is it because I adore the flavour, or because it’s so versatile and can be used in either sweet or savory dishes, or because it comes in so many different forms (desiccated, flour, oil) but honestly a big reason is because it’s so healthy.

In the past we were warned to avoid coconut because of it’s saturated fat content.  Now we know that the coconut is a different type of saturated fat.  The fat is a medium-chained fatty acid where as animal fats and dairy are long-chained fatty acids.  The research shows that the medium type does not  have a negative effect on cholesterol and actually helps to protect against heart disease.   There are also a ton of other health benefits coconuts claim to have but for me the evidence lies in all the scientific studies done and the positive news coming from present studies.

And still it’s important to remember that just because coconut like nuts is considered a good fat, it is still fat and needs to be eaten in moderation.  So although it looks like I’m eating bucket loads of coconut butter, oil and my new favorite flour…..I’m not.  I wish I could, but I’m fairly careful not to over do it.

Did you know….that coconut flour has the highest fibre content of any flour?  100 grams has 38.5 grams of fibre.   That’s a big deal when you consider whole wheat flour has 12.2 grams and white flour has a whopping 2.7 grams!     I think these numbers are exciting and can’t wait to start really experimenting with this flour.

Coconut Oaties

One of the easiest cookies I’ve ever made and the healthiest.   These would be perfect in a kids lunch box, low sugar and peanut free.

Next batch I’m thinkin goji berries and cocoa powder.

Have you tried coconut flour yet?

1. March 19, 2011 1:32 pm

Loving these recipes Michelle. The barley cake looks so good – especially that picture where you cut into it – I want!

Also, I must make these oaties. I love coconut flour, but whenever I use it in baking, everything turns out really dry. I was figured it was b/c the flour absorbs liquid like crazy, but perhaps I should shorten the baking time as well. Thx! 🙂

• March 19, 2011 2:06 pm

Thanks Heather. The cookies are not super moist and your right coconut flour is dense and tends to absorb liquid but I find that it adds an almost shortbread consistency when done right. Definitely take them out before you think they’re ready. I’m going to play around with the recipe and attempt some squares. Thanks for reading and I hope you’re enjoying your vacation!

2. Gabriella Adorjan permalink
    March 21, 2011 10:35 am

Hello Michelle,

I am one of your mon’s Alpha friends, Gabriella.

Your mother Mary told me and provided me about your fantastic website. Ditto it is most amazing.

Now I am sharing it with my sister Angelika, who would love to obtain some of your gluten-free recipes, ie. pizza, pastries, etc.

I am so looking forward to your recipes and where I find them.

Cheers: gabriella in mississauga, ontario

• March 21, 2011 1:14 pm

Hi Gabriella. Thank you for the compliments and I’m glad you’re enjoying reading my blog. Soon I will have all of the recipes listed so that you can find them better. There are gluten free brownies, pizza crust and a few cakes on there. This week I will be adding another gluten free recipe. Feel free to comment on any of the blogs or ask questions and I will do my best to answer. Michelle

3. MOM permalink
    April 21, 2011 5:35 am

Michelle these cookies were really good.
    Coconut was always my favorit in any kind of sweets so I especially love these.

4. May 11, 2011 11:27 pm

I absolutely LOVE coconut and these cookies look amazing! What a pretty plate you have them presented on as well 🙂 Love your site and so glad to be a new follower!

5. May 31, 2011 11:35 am

Heh…at first, I did think it was a creme-brulee type dish! Looks really good either way 😉 As do the cookies! I love coconut flour. At first I really disliked the texture, but I’ve come to love it. Your cookies look great!

6. June 4, 2011 2:58 am

Omg, I’m so excited to try those barley cakes! I have a half-empty jar in my cupboard that really needs eating up, this sounds like the answer!