Learning to Flambe

January 28, 2011

Wanna try something new or different?

Take a cooking class.

Steve and I took a Tapas class.   For anyone not familiar with Tapas…..it really just means many small taste plates or appetizers, or snacks, in Spanish cuisine. They may be cold (such as mixed olives and cheese) or warm (such as chopitos, which are battered, fried baby squid). …

If you can find a good Tapas restaurant then go.  Go right away.

It’s fun to sit with friends and share a bunch of different small dishes.  When I lived in Montreal my bff and I used to frequent a very small and cozy Tapas restaurant and as a matter of fact….I once had one of the best meals I’ve ever eaten there thanks to this bff person.  She would have been fun in this class.  I miss her.

Steve was fun too though….

Wait for it……wait for it……

Look at his mouth.   That’s an “OOHHH!” but with a very high tone.  The chef thought this was hilarious with Steve being the biggest guy in the class.       That was his first Flambe.

Did you know? that you should never flambe something with your overhead oven fan on?  the fan will suck up the flames and then you’re in for a world of hurt.    I did not know this.   Not that I ever flambe stuff.

I would have taken a picture of myself performing one as well but I dropped the frying pan and burnt the chefs legs.

kidding.   The battery died on my camera.

I swear.

I didn’t even get pictures of the final dishes.  We made Meatballs in sherry and tomatoes.  Marinated mushroom salad. Scallops with pistachio dressing. Blue cheese with brandy on french bread. Mussels in a wine broth and chorizo sausage in some kind of sauce.

Everything sounds better than it was.  Pretty basic stuff and much too easy for anyone who knows how to cook even a little.

But a lot of fun.

Have you ever taken a cooking class?

1. Kelly permalink
    January 29, 2011 8:08 am

Once in highschool I did – it was fun. Thanks for the tip about the overhead fan, good to know!

2. Lisa permalink
    January 29, 2011 9:24 am

No I have never taken a cooking class except for home ec in high school. I would of liked to take a cooking class from you as you were suppose to give some if you recall? I can not believe you got Steve to take a cooking class. I am impressed. I miss you too. Jacques went to Carambolas last night with LeeAnna and Dean and Linda who got engaged on Christmas eve after 18 years together. I was at girls night, we ordered in Indian, but oddly, didn’t order enough food.

• January 30, 2011 4:06 am

Yeah I did hom ec but that doesn’t count. That class is a free credit and meant purely for socializing and getting some free grub. I do remember about the cooking classes and still plan on doing that when I grow up.

So are you telling me you didn’t order enough food or alcohol? cause if you ordered enough alcohol then the food wouldn’t matter right? Oh you really do need me there for this stuff don’t you?

3. Lisa permalink
    January 29, 2011 9:26 am

Steve with a chefs hat on. Hmm, too bad he had a shirt on.

4. MOM permalink
    January 31, 2011 6:55 am

Yes I took one French class a very long time ago. But I never used it because I could not afford the food to try it out. Always wanted to do the flambe but to cowardly to try it.

• January 31, 2011 4:30 pm

The whole flambe thing was just show for the class. He let everyone do a flambe with the same pan of meatballs and I couldn’t taste a thing….boring old meatballs that’s all. I would probably burn my kitchen down. Oh I remember doing a flambe in your kitchen with french fry grease. It didn’t go so well.

5. MOM permalink
    February 2, 2011 8:17 am

Yep both you and Kelly did the flambe in my kitchen and neither went well.