An apple a day

November 15, 2010

I am not what one would call a nurturer. When I get sick or hurt,  I don’t feel the need to let everyone around me share in my misery and because of that,   my tolerance level is about a 3 for whiners (not including the babes).     How about big muscley, tatoo wearing men?

How could I not nurture that?  He’s been silently suffering (very unlike him:)) and while the beach over our balcony was nothing short of a March break in Fort Lauderdale this weekend,  Steve dozed on and off (mostly on) and asked for nothing more than his favorite.

Apple cake

1 cup baking stevia

1 cup white sugar

2 cups whole wheat flour

1 cup soy flour

1 cup white flour

1 tbsp baking soda

1 tbsp pumpkin spice

1 tsp salt

4 eggs

1 tbsp vanilla

1/2 cup coconut oil and 1/2 cup dates boiled in water and then mashed (or bananas or pumpkin or applesauce)

5 granny smith apples peeled and finely diced

In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients, mix well and then make a well in the centre.  Add everything else and mix well with a big wooden spoon.  Mixture will be very thick and you may have to use your hands gently to incorporate everything.

Pour batter (it doesn’t really pour) into a parchment lined 9 X 13 baking pan and bake at 350 degrees until cooked through in the middle.    Let cool and slice.

If you’re looking for a healthier dessert then this cake is it!  It has a good amount of fiber, not too much sugar, very low (and healthy fat)  and even some protein from the soy flour.    If you decide to freeze it, wrap well and defrost at room temperature.  Place in slices on a baking sheet and toast in the oven.   Tastes like you just baked it!

1. Kelly permalink
    November 15, 2010 6:36 pm

This reminds me of the time Guy broke his arm right before we went to Mexico – that must have seriously sucked for him but he was a good sport about it.

2. November 15, 2010 8:47 pm

That’s because he just stayed drunk by the pool 🙂

• Kelly permalink
      November 16, 2010 7:26 am

maybe thats what Steve should do lol.

3. Jennifer Taylor permalink
    November 16, 2010 8:25 am

Hi Michelle – I’ve tried to comment before but it doesn’t seem to work! Hope you are well…send me an email k?

4. MOM permalink
    November 19, 2010 7:39 am

Poor Steve. Must suck for him now. Plus the heat coming and him all wrapped up like that. Thank God he is not where I am with the heat. I am having rapid heart beats just thinking about it. Sure hope he heals fast.
    Is it expensive to buy a window air conditioner in Australia

• November 20, 2010 2:04 am

There’s really no serious heat yet, we’ve not had a hot night so it’s fine. You can’t get window aircon here, it’s a thousand year old house with old old windows. He’s doing fine, as long as I let him talk about his hand every 10 min or so, he’s good 🙂

Trackbacks