Gluten free oat cake

September 29, 2010

Celiac Disease and Oats

There is a big question about whether people diagnosed with Celiac Disease can eat oats. Some studies suggest they cannot and others say they can.  Oats do not contain gluten but there are a couple of problems with those who have  severe gluten allergies or anyone with celiac. Oats are grown close to wheat and barley which of course do contain gluten and when farmers rotate their fields they may be using the same soil as well as the same farming equipment.  So there is always the fear of cross contamination.     You can actually find ‘uncontaminated oats’ now from specialty shops.  My oats are just plain ole no namers that I buy by the bucket load when on sale so if you’re concerned stop by your local health food store and find the right oats or give this recipe a try with quinoa oats (ask about cross contamination here as well).

Gluten free oat cake recipe

What I’ve learned from gluten-free baking

The cakes are a bit crumblier (is so a word!) and really need to rest on a cooling rack before cutting.   As always I doubled my recipe (because I live with a cake monster) but you can cut it in 1/2 easily.   Freezes well.

What I like best about baking with these flours

The texture.  The flour is so light and starchy that the crust stays slightly crunchy while the inside is soft.   The cake monster doesn’t seem to care about the gluten and hasn’t noticed a difference unless I tell him which I am going to take as a good thing!

Poached Eggs

I’m a bit hooked on poached eggs lately and even though I normally try to keep bread to a minimum, the bakery’s here are ridic U  luss!  (ok that one’s not a word)  Soo good and tonight’s dinner was on what they call a cape seed roll which is completely covered in seeds and made with rye and pumpernickel.      They are quiet high in calories and fat but 1/2 of one is plenty.

This one had brie cheese with spinach pesto on top (which I bought). Then fresh spinach, sliced tomatoes, a poached egg (overdone by accident :() and asparagus.  Have you ever had asparagus with a soft yolked egg?  yum

What’s your favorite way to eat eggs?

1. Kelly permalink
    September 30, 2010 7:34 am

Cake looks good! I just made an apple oat cake (w/gluton) because we went apple picking and we picked 23 lbs of apples. The kids had it for breakfast all week – it was “breakfast cake”.
    I really don’t like eggs, esp. when their runny, ewwwww.

• September 30, 2010 9:53 pm

23lbs of apples?? I would definitely call that fruit hoarding lol! What kid wouldn’t want cake for breakfast all week? mmm runny yolks, you don’t know what your missing!

2. November 11, 2010 1:35 am

Good points about oats. There is a US brand called Bob’s Red Mill which is gluten free 🙂

3. December 10, 2010 1:41 pm

The oat cake looks delicious and that is one gorgeous poached egg! I agree, asparagus + soft egg yolk = LOVE. 🙂

• December 10, 2010 11:43 pm

Thanks Faith and your turkey doesn’t look so bad either! Wish I was at your house for Christmas 🙂

4. February 23, 2011 6:52 pm

yummy!~ Crunchy crisp crusts are the best! After all, that’s really the only part I eat of any dessert 😛 Interesting info about Celiac! I can’t imagine how tough it COULD be for many individuals.

5. March 11, 2011 6:06 am

Yummy, can I have a piece please?

6. March 14, 2011 2:35 am

Michelle this poached egg with asparagus looks like my perfect brunch this morning … only I don’t have any asparagus today:( It really looks like a great combination of foods that I should try out. I’ve never attempted a glutten free cake, but one of these days I will get down to trying. Thanks for sharing.

7. April 10, 2011 1:04 pm