Sugar free Banana Millet bread

September 26, 2011

With the serious summer heat behind us I’m finally starting to feel the workout bug again.  I managed to log close to 4 miles of running on the treadmill in my first two days at a new gym which is more than I’d planned.   My goal was to gently complete a mile and then do some light weights.

I rarely listen to myself. Instead I get there…I feel good…I run hard…I lift like I did 3 months ago…and today I am in pain.

Pain even when not in motion. Pain as in “Oh my dear God I have to pee”.  Lowering one self onto the toilet is the worst pain of all.  Yes I know. Too much information.

With my new (or back to the old) regime, I’m adding a couple of new workouts for motivation.  First I’m finally going to give Bikram a go. Second, I’d like to add a spin class or two back into my workout and third, maybe a class in TRX.    I know summer is motivating for most people but I find hunkering down and keeping warm in doors a good reason to try new activities so that I stay active over the winter.

In the meantime, High park is getting ready for fall and the man and I have put in some walking miles while enjoying the scenery.

I walked slow…it hurt.

I’m also trying to lower the sugar in my baking. I’ll be using some tricks here and there but for this bread I just left it out completely to see what would happen.

Sugar free Banana Millet Bread

Top                                                                                                                                                 Bottom

3 large overripe bananas (the more overripe the sweeter the banana)

4 eggs

1/3 cup each olive and coconut (or 2/3 cup 1 type of oil)

2 t vanilla

1 cup milk (or milk substitution)

2 cups whole wheat flour

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup millet

2 t baking soda

1 T baking powder

2 t cinnamon

1 t cardamom

1/2 t salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Begin by blending the bananas, eggs, vanilla, oils and milk until smooth.

In a large bowl add the rest of the ingredients and stir well.

Pour the banana mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until combined.

Pour into a greased bundt pan (or any baking pan) and bake until a knife inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.  Depending on the baking pan used, the timing will change but be careful not to over cook this as it dries out quickly from the lack of sugar.  The bundt cake only took 20-25 minutes.

I don’t have much of a sweet tooth so I loved this cake, especially the crunch you get from the millet.  It’s perfect with coffee for breakfast or an afternoon snack. The man noticed the lack of sweetness right away. That hasn’t stopped him from finishing most of it with peanut butter on top though.  If you’re watching your sugar intake give it a try and it freezes well.

About these ads
  1. John permalink
    September 26, 2011 5:47 pm

…now I gotta run out and get some bananas and leave em in the sunlight to get `ripe` for the week-end! Had to laugh at your pain tho, I am having the same …er…lowering aches as you.I kinda overdid some squat and ab stuff over the week-end and I am so sore……

But it`s a good pain ……

• September 27, 2011 9:45 am

I thought of you first for this cake. Look for the bargain bananas at the grocery store, they practically give them away. I’m starting to feel better today…what a relief! At least you can stand up to pee :0)

2. John permalink
    October 9, 2011 11:23 am

Hiya! Finally made my Banana-Quinoa cake….yea, Quinoa. Had no chance to pick up some Millet. I kinda goofed a bit on the prep also. I bought coconut oil, but, it was hard at room temp…shoulda warmed it a little before I added it to the mix. left some lumps so the cake cooked up a little weird…I mlove it tho. tastes really good and there is enough sweet for me! I am going to try to include some pics with this post, but if I can’t, I will e-mail them yo you…..
    John

• October 9, 2011 6:04 pm

I think your cake looks beautiful! unless you’re beating with sugar and oil to get that creamy texture, you do need to have a liquid oil. Oh well…like me, each time you make a mistake it just makes your next recipe that much better.

3. March 11, 2012 1:38 pm

Just put my banana millet cake in the oven! So excited to try it! 25 min can’t come soon enough! Thank you for the recipe, Michelle!

4. sam permalink
    December 31, 2013 11:46 pm

i made the cake, i liked it very much. i added 4 bags of sweeva, i added pinch of ground clove. i increase the amount of milk. i used millet flour only. i removed the millet seeds… any how its turn out very good

Trackbacks