Chick Pea Tortillas

May 18, 2011

Another cold, wet day in Toronto.  I sure am glad I missed this winter or I’d be chomping at the bit waiting for some spring weather (like everyone else is).  Today I saw 2 houses in High park and 1 in Mimico.  I loved High park.  Old homes with plenty of charm, beautiful tree covered streets and of course high park within walking distance.   The houses were just ok but at least I have another area that I can keep looking in.

Now on to the eats.

One of my favourite cookbooks is Mark Bittman’s How to cook everything.  It’s a simple, nothing fancy, straight forward cookbook encyclopaedia sized that quiet literally gives you tips and recipes on how to cook everything.     I highly recommend it!

A favourite recipes from him is Socca.  Socca is a flatbread made with chickpea flour also called Besan.  You can buy it in any health food store but I buy it in bulk in Indian stores for a quarter the price :0).    I’ve made this flatbread so many times that I now have my version which is slightly  different from his.

This Besan Flatbread is made thin and used as type of tortilla but I’ve also made it into pizza crusts, naan, stuffed paratha, tortilla chips and this very yummy cinnamon toast cereal from Peas and thank you.

Why use Besan flour?

1 cup Besam flour is 356 calories, 53 g carbohydrates, 10g of fiber, 6.2 g of fat and 20.6 g of protein

1 cup white flour is 455 calories, 95.39 g of carbohydrates, 3.4 g fiber, 1.22 g of fat and 12.9 g of protein

Which flour would you choose?

Chick pea flour is far less processed (including bleaching), more than double in fibre which also explains it’s much lower carbohydrate percentage and most notably? its impressive protein content, especially for a flour.  Baking with it can be tricky since it has no gluten and does have a distinctive flavour.

I choose Besan.

Onion Chickpea tortillas

1 T coconut oil (can use olive or canola)

1 large onion diced finely

1 cup chickpea flour (besan)

1 cup water

1 t each salt and pepper

hot sauce or peppers (optional)

Begin by adding flour, water, salt and pepper along with hot sauce to a medium bowl.    Stir well with a whisk until no lumps remain.  Set aside.

Heat a small non stick frying pan and add coconut oil.   Once hot, add diced onion and fry until onion begins to brown.

Pour fried onions into batter and stir to combine.

To the same hot frying pan, add 1/2 cup batter (which should have the consistency of pancake batter) and cook until the bottom start to bubble and brown.  Flip and cook the other side.

Remove and continue until batter is done.

Now you can freeze and later use these for wraps, tacos, burritos or chips.   If you let them dry out, you could even make a bread crumb and use it for breading chicken or tofu, stuffings and fillers.  Remember Cauliflower and Green Onion Pancakes?

hmm.   I’m feeling like I may have dragged this post out.   It’s because I do believe Socca is food changing.  Once you master this, you’ll find the boring white stuff boring.     I said boring twice in one sentence.

That means I’m serious.

About these ads
  1. Kelly permalink
    May 18, 2011 10:49 pm

You are so much more adventurous than me when it comes to food! How are we related?

2. slm23 permalink
    February 20, 2012 12:28 am

great recipe!! i added garlic and cayenne instead of hot sauce and put taco meat, swiss chard and mushroom sautéed, spinach, cilantro and avocado on top! it was the bomb!!

this is my recipe for the garbanzo bean flour yet!

3. slm23 permalink
    February 20, 2012 12:29 am

favorite recipe*

4. August 1, 2012 5:25 pm

can you use sprouted garbanzo beans to make these? would you have to add anything to the beans like baking powder/soda ?

• August 1, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi Rj, I didn’t actually use whole beans for this. You can purchase the actual garbanzo/chickpea flour called ‘besan’ at an indian store or some health food stores. If you find the flour then I’m sure a little baking powder would help them get a bit puffier. I’m not sure if grinding your own sprouted beans would result in the same flour consistency but if you do try it, please let me know!

5. Karen Mattes permalink
    August 24, 2012 12:03 pm

Sorry if I missed it, but can you tell me roughly how many tortillas this recipe would make, using 1/2 cup batter for each? I’d love to try this, but it would be helpful to know the yield. Many thanks!

• August 24, 2012 7:15 pm

Hi Karen, I made 5 tortillas with this batch but you can make more or less depending on the size. Hope you enjoy the recipe!

6. isabella permalink
    December 4, 2012 1:36 am

Hi! will try this later this evening! Just a few questions… how hot was your pan? did you use any oil to coat the pan between each batch or is dry pan best? how long before you flipped them? I tried this a few weeks ago, with what i thought was garbanzo flour, although I’m not sure… the letters were in arabic haha :) they didn’t hold it together at all… i hope it wasn’t garbanzo..

• December 4, 2012 8:40 am

Isabella, your pan should be very hot for the first one just like you were cooking pancakes. Then you can turn it down to medium because generally the frying pan stays pretty hot. You could add a little oil between pancakes which will make them a bit crispier but you shouldn’t need to if using a nonstick pan. Chickpea flour is also called ‘besan’. Good luck tonight!

7. Alyssa permalink
    January 6, 2013 8:47 pm

Making these to use for falafels! Super excited :)